Re: [BUGS] BUG #2907: pg_get_serial_sequence quoting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Adriaan van Os
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #2907: pg_get_serial_sequence quoting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I presume the reason for that is that the first paramater can be
>>> qualified:
>>> select pg_get_serial_sequence('"public"."FOO"', 'Ff1');
>
>> Would someone explain why qualification makes us lowercase the first
>> parameter by default?  I don't understand it well enough to document it.
>
> The point is that we have to parse the first parameter, whereas the
> second one can be taken literally.

It still looks inconsistent and ugly. I think the design mistake of pg_get_serial_sequence is that
it takes two parameters rather than one (a fully qualified doublequoted columnname path) or three
(optionally empty schema, tablename, columnname, all three literal).

Regards,

Adriaan van Os