Re: ideas for auto-processing patches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: ideas for auto-processing patches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
markwkm@gmail.com wrote:
> On 1/12/07, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> markwkm@gmail.com wrote:
>> > What do you think about setting up the buildfarm clients
>> > with the users they are willing to test patches for, as opposed to
>> > having the patch system track who is are trusted users?  My thoughts
>> > are the former is easier to implement and that it allows anyone to use
>> > the buildfarm to test a patch for anyone, well each buildfarm client
>> > user permitting.
>>
>> We can do this, but the utility will be somewhat limited. The submitters
>> will still have to be known and authenticated on the patch server. I
>> think you're also overlooking one of the virtues of the buildfarm,
>> namely that it does its thing unattended. If there is a preconfigured
>> set of submitters/vetters then we can rely on them all to do their
>> stuff. If it's more ad hoc, then when Joe Bloggs submits a spiffy new
>> patch every buildfarm owner that wanted to test it would need to go and
>> add him to their configured list of patch submitters. This doesn't seem
>> too workable.
>
> Ok so it really wasn't much work to put together a SOAP call that'll
> return patches from everyone, a trusted group, or a specified
> individual.  I put together a short perl example that illustrates some
> of this:
>  http://folio.dyndns.org/example.pl.txt
>
> How does that look?

Looks OK in general, although I would need to know a little more of the
semantics. I get back a structure that looks like what's below.

One thing: the patch server will have to run over HTTPS - that way we
can know that it is who it says it is.

cheers

andrew

$VAR1 = [         bless( {                  'repository_id' => '1',                  'created_on' =>
'2007-01-15T19:40:09-08:00',                 'diff' => 'dummied out',                  'name' => 'copy_nowal.v1.patch',
                'owner_id' => '1',                  'id' => '1',                  'updated_on' =>
'2007-01-15T11:40:10-08:00'               }, 'Patch' ),         bless( {                  'repository_id' => '1',
          'created_on' => '2007-01-15T19:40:09-08:00',                  'diff' => 'dummied out',
'name'=> 'pgsql-bitmap-09-17.patch',                  'owner_id' => '1',                  'id' => '2',
'updated_on'=> '2007-01-15T11:40:29-08:00'                }, 'Patch' )       ];