Re: xml type and encodings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: xml type and encodings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Montag, 15. Januar 2007 12:42 schrieb Nikolay Samokhvalov:
>> On 1/15/07, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>>> Client encoding is A, server encoding is B.  Client sends an xml datum
>>> that looks like this:
>>>
>>> INSERT INTO table VALUES (xmlparse(document '<?xml version="1.0"
>>> encoding="C"?><content>...</content>'));
>>>
>>> Assuming that A, B, and C are all distinct, this could fail at a number
>>> of places.
>>>
>>> I suggest that we make the system ignore all encoding declarations in
>>> xml data.  That is, in the above example, the string would actually
>>> have to be encoded in client encoding B on the client, would be
>>> converted to A on the server and stored as such.  As far as I can tell,
>>> this is easily implemented and allowed by the XML standard.
>> In other words, in case when B != C server must trigger an error, right?
>
> No, C is ignored in all cases.

Would this mean that if the client_encoding is for example latin1, and I
retrieve an xml document uploaded by a client with client_encoding utf-8
(and thus having encoding="c" in the xml tag), that I would get a
document with latin1 encoding but saying that it's utf-8 in it's xml tag?

greetings, Florian Pflug