Re: PostgreSQL to host e-mail? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew Schumacher
Subject Re: PostgreSQL to host e-mail?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 15:00:05 -0300
> "Charles A. Landemaine" <landemaine@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm building an e-mail service that has two requirements: It should
>> index messages on the fly to have lightening search results, and it
>> should be able to handle large amounts of space. The server is going
>> to be dedicated only for e-mail with 250GB of storage in Raid-5. I'd
>> like to know how PostgreSQL could handle such a large amount of data.
>> How much RAM would I need? I expect my users to have a 10GB quota per
>> e-mail account.

I wouldn't do it this way, I would use cyrus.  It stores the messages in
plain text each in it's own file (like maildir) but then it also indexes
the headers in bdb format and also can index the search database in bdb
format.  The result is a very simple mail store that can perform
searches very fast.  The only problem is that the search index in only
updated periodically.

If you need more information then look at the cyrus-users list as this
is WAY off topic.

schu