Re: postgresql-9.1.1 PQescapeByteaConn() generating incorrectly quoted output. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgresql-9.1.1 PQescapeByteaConn() generating incorrectly quoted output.
Date
List pgsql-general
Graham Murray <gmurray@webwayone.co.uk> writes:
> Since upgrading test systems to postgresql 9.1, I am seeing some inserts
> to bytea fields giving errors such as "ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for
> encoding "UTF8": 0xf9" Where the insert is from a C program using libpq
> and is of the form "insert into xxx values(E'%s')" where the value is
> the return of PQescapeByteaConn();

That is incorrect coding.  The result of PQescapeByteaConn has never
been meant to be put into an E'' literal.  You might have managed to
get away with it so long as standard_conforming_strings was off in the
server, but it's on by default in 9.1.

            regards, tom lane