Re: Security leak with trigger functions? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Security leak with trigger functions?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Looking at pg_trigger I have the impression that there is no such thing
> as an 'owner of a trigger', and consequently the owner of the trigger
> would automatically be the table owner.
>
> I understand the reservations about the TRIGGER privilege, but I think
> that it is obvious anyway that anybody who can add a trigger can
> basically do everything with the table.

Isn't the problem that they can do more than just things with the table?
If the trigger runs as the owner of the table it can do *anything* the
owner can do. So if we allow the alter privilege to include ability to
place a trigger then that privilege includes everything the owner can do
(including granting/revoking other privileges). Surely that is not what
was intended. Arguably we should invent a concept of an explicit trigger
owner.

cheers

andrew