Re: single transaction vs multiple transactions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sven Geisler
Subject Re: single transaction vs multiple transactions
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Heikki

Heikki Linnakangas schrieb:
> Sven Geisler wrote:
>> I have to refactoring a 'DELETE FROM x WHERE y IN (...)' because IN got
>> to much parameters. => 'stack depth limit exceeded'
>> I don't want to increase just the parameter for max_stack_depth. It is
>> better to refactoring because the number of arguments to IN may increase
>> in the future.
[...]
>> BTW: The arguments are generate in the application tier. I would have to
>> create a temporary table which I can use in 'DELETE FROM x WHERE y IN
>> (SELECT z FROM tmp)'.
>
> I think that's exactly what you should do.

I have to insert my arguments to a temporary table first, because the
arguments are only known in the application tier.
Is a multiple insert to a temporary table and a final 'DELETE FROM x
WHERE y IN (SELECT z FROM tmp)' faster than multiple deletes?

Sven.