Re: How to speed up Exclusive Locking - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: How to speed up Exclusive Locking
Date
List pgsql-general
David Goodenough wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 10:57, Bernd Helmle wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:18:21 +0000, David Goodenough
>> <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The statements issued to lock each table is:-
>>>  LOCK TABLE table IN EXCLUSIVE MODE; SELECT 1 FROM table;
>> So why selecting '1' for each row after locking the relation before? I
>> don't know HA-JDBC but this looks really useless. Remove the SELECT and use
>> the LOCK TABLE command within the transaction which does the sync for you.

> I will give it a try.

It could be that the HA-JDBC code expects some selected value back. In
which case a simple "SELECT 1" should be fine. I have to agree with
Bernd that selecting all rows and then throwing away the results strikes
me as particularly a braindead behaviour from the library, presumably it
makes some sort of sense for locking a limited number of rows.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd