Re: How to implement backup protocol - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: How to implement backup protocol
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrus wrote:
>> You seem dead set on making your life harder than it needs to be. If you
>> really don't want to have the ssh port open then set the backup to run
>> from a cron-job on the main server and have it scp the result over to the
>> backup server. That way only the backup server needs ssh open.
>
> By backup clients use cheap ADSL internet connections.
> Thery have all ports closed by ISP.

In that case, if you really can't have incoming ports enabled at either
end, you'll need to have a separate machine available to both servers
and clients. Then you can use that as a switch and have:
1. servers connect and upload backups to it
2. clients connect and download the last backup.

>>> How to force postmaster to run the tool which system provides when it
>>> receives backup request instead of postgres child process ?
>> Don't. You're just making life difficult for yourself. Use the standard
>> Unix solution for such things - ssh.
>>
>> How are you installing updates without ssh access to the server?
>
> My servers are usually Windows computers.
> I have installed LogMein ( www.logmein.com ) which allows to access those
> computers
> when ports are closed at both sides.

Hmm - looks like they're doing something similar to the process I
describe above, then running ftp/vnc etc. over the link. OK, so do
something with the logmein client instead of ssh then. Assuming you can
script it. It seems to suggest that you can do file synchronisation
across their connection.

> I havent installed any updates. I start with 8.1 and installed last version
> on new server. So some servers have 8.1.1,
> some 8.1.2 etc up to 8.1.5
> I havent touched old servers after system is set up.

You should try and come up with a way of upgrading the servers to the
latest (8.1.5 at the moment) on a regular basis. Some of those upgrades
are very important.

Use your logmein setup to keep them up to date. If you have many servers
you'll want to automate the process, but I'm afraid I don't do enough
Windows work to make any useful suggestions there.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd