Re: sequence help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: sequence help
Date
List pgsql-general
Matthew Peter wrote:
> I'll jump right in with an example
>
> create sequence foo start with 1;
>
> create view foobar as select *, nextval('foo') from bar;
>
> The problem is I need a nextval()-like method that returns the iterations without
> updating the foo sequence. Therefore, maintaining the sequences original value by
> starting at 1 each time the foobar VIEW is invoked.

And what would you expect to see if more than one person simultaneously
queries foobar? A sequence would increment for each session querying it.

I think you want numbers to increase per session, in which case you
could probably use generate_series().

Regards,
--
Alban Hertroys