Re: doc patch for savepoints - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joseph S
Subject Re: doc patch for savepoints
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 17:48 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I do not see the point of this.  Shall we put equivalent disclaimers
>>> into every single construct that consumes shared memory?
>
>> Stating that it uses shared memory? Absolutely. Stating that you may run
>> out? No, ...
>
> Well, the fact that it uses shared memory is an uninteresting
> implementation detail --- at least, it's uninteresting until you run
> out.  When/if that happens, ISTM the error message and HINT are plenty
> good enough to tell you what to do about it.

No, when you run out it is not obvious that your unreleased savepoints
are causing the problem.

To further help diagnose shared memory problems maybe in pg_locks there
should be the sql that caused the lock to come into existence, like
current_query in pg_stat_activity.