Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs
Date
Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs  ("Olexandr Melnyk" <omelnyk@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Merlin Moncure wrote:

> I think you should look for inspiration in the EMS suite, which while
> windows-only and closed source is a pretty feature packed and cross
> (db) platform.  You are on very well traveled ground here.

Not to mention Lightning Admin for Postgresql  and MySQL:-)

(http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com)

Which does run great with WINE, so while not native cross platform it
does run well any where newer versions of
WINE do.

The EMS stuff is nice, but I found them to be to a little bloated and
cumbersome to work with during my research of competing products.

One could also use Mono 1.2 and any .net 1.1 IDE such as Borland Turbo
C# or Delphi.net (with npgsql .net data provider)  both of which you can
get for free here:
http://www.turboexplorer.com
or SharpDevelop which you can get here:  http://www.icsharpcode.com

You can take the exes these IDEs create and simply run them as is on
Linux or where ever Mono 1.2 does.
It really does work well. Much nicer than Java.  You do have to stick to
fully managed code when you develop your apps on win32 as any win32 API
pinvoke commands will not work in Mono.

Currently there is no IDE available on Linux or other Unix systems that
has the productivity of the tools mentioned above. (except for the
unfortunate Kylix IDE)

Sure you could use Wxwidgets with Python or whatever, but you
development time is going to be more than twice as long as compared to a
application built
with Delphi.  The closest to Delphi in a cross platform system is
NetBeans and even with their form designer it's still tedious working
with databases compared to
Delphi.  If you want to speak to the Oracle, you have to go to Delphi :-)

I have also tried MonoDevelop, but it has a way to go before being
really useful.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design