Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Nobody has a use for CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY?
>
>> Of course they do, again need not want. CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY is a
>> great feature but it isn't something that is whiz, bang, pow (such as
>> the enormous performance increase between 7.4/8.0 and 8.1).
>
> Hm, are you sure there aren't equivalent performance increases between
> 8.1 and 8.2?  I don't know of any single performance fix we've done in
> the last ten years that's not a niche feature for some value of "niche".
> There are certainly things in 8.2 that are killer improvements for some
> classes of applications, just as 7.4, 8.0, and 8.1 could say the same
> for some other classes.  Considering that 8.2 has been focused on
> performance fixes to a much greater degree than any prior release,
> I find it surprising that you're dismissing it as uninteresting on
> that dimension.

from the testing i have done with some of our production databases - 8.2
gives a tremendous performance boost (nearly on a similiar scale that
7.4->8.1 gave us!). Some of those gains are planner improvments (like
the out-joins enhancements others seem to come from the improved sorting
and concurrency. Last but least 8.2 seems to use a bit less of memory
for some queries too which helps concurrency.
So I'm a bit surprised that Josh is not considering those as very
interesting either ...

Stefan