Re: Upgrade problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Kurland
Subject Re: Upgrade problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom:

Thanks for the reply. I've installed the patch and, as you predicted, it had no effect.

I did a google search on AIX + getaddrinfo and found
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2002-April/002063.html
In that context the author says that adding the port number in etc/services solved his problem with getaddrinfo. So I tried that and, lo, it has some effect, though I'm not sure it's 100% desirable. The log entry is:

LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: The type of socket is not supported in this protocol family.
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2006-11-26 23:26:32 EST
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/38D198
LOG:  redo record is at 0/38D198; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 565; next OID: 10793
LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0
LOG:  database system is ready
LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484146, limited by database "postgres"

but postmaster is running.

I've restored my database and a cursory look seems to show everything is working as expected. Can you tell me what the log entries signify?

Thanks again.

Tom Lane wrote:
Bill Kurland <bill@panix.com> writes:
I've just upgraded from 7.2 to 8.1.5 under AIX 4.3.
make check passes all 98 tests, but when I try to start postgresql I get:

LOG:  could not translate service "5432" to address: Host not found
Hmm, this seems to be another one of those "AIX's getaddrinfo() is
broken" problems :-(.  We patched around one problem last month:
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/libpq/ip.c.diff?r1=1.32.2.1&r2=1.32.2.3

I'm afraid that that patch does not fix your problem, but it would be
worth trying it before we dig any deeper.

TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to      choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not      match

--

Bill Kurland
Shakespeare & Co.

212-965-9683
212-965-9684 Fax

--
Can I now congratulate the same nation upon its freedom? Is it because liberty in the abstract may be classed amongst the blessings of mankind, that I am seriously to felicitate a madman, who has escaped from the protecting restraint and wholesome darkness of his cell, on his restoration to the enjoyment of light and liberty? Am I to congratulate a highwayman and murderer who has broke prison upon the recovery of his natural rights?-Edmund Burke, "Reflections on the Revolution in France"