Re: Have I found an interval arithmetic bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Have I found an interval arithmetic bug?
Date
Re: Have I found an interval arithmetic bug?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I went ahead and modified the interval multiplication/division functions
> to use the same logic as fractional interval units:

Wait. A. Minute.

What I think we have consensus on is that interval_in is doing the
wrong thing in a particular corner case.  I have heard nobody but
you suggesting that we should start undertaking behavioral changes
in other interval functions, and I don't believe that that's a good
road to start going down.  These behaviors have stood for many years.
Moreover, since the whole thing is by definition operating with
inadequate information, it is inevitable that for every case you
make better there will be another one you make worse.

I'm really not on board with changing anything except interval_in,
and even there, we had better be certain that everything we change
is a case that is certainly being made better.

BTW, please do not post patches as gzipped attachments, unless
they're enormous.  You're just adding another step making it
harder for people to look at them.