Re: Regular Expressions, LIKE, and indexes - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Regular Expressions, LIKE, and indexes
Date
List pgsql-sql
Travis Whitton wrote:

> SELECT keyword FROM keywords WHERE keyword like 'foo%';
>
> Are there any other functions that can provide equivalent results while
> using an index, or am going to have drop UTF-8 and recreate my database?

UTF-8 isn't your locale, it's your character set (or encoding). Your
locale is something like en_GB.UTF-8 (for British sorting).

You need to define your indexes in such a way that the LIKE can figure
things out. That means using a special operator-class (so that you
redefine how less-than and greater-than are defined). It takes longer to
explain than to do, so I'll direct you to the relevant "CREATE INDEX"
example in the manuals:  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/indexes-opclass.html

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd