Re: Data transfer between databases over the Internet - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: Data transfer between databases over the Internet
Date
List pgsql-general
John McCawley wrote:
> I have found myself somewhat trapped in a project where the software
> being used is essentially set in stone, and its limitations are
> strangling progress.  It is a client-side app written in VB with an
> Access backend, and it has no reasonable data
> migration/synchronization ability.  It was designed for a single user
> system, and cannot even hook up to a different backend.  I have no
> confidence in the vendor's ability to fix this situation in a timely
> fashion.

I guess I would recommend you to upgrade your VB application to either
vb.net or C#, then you can use the Postgresql .net data provider which
requires no additional client libraries.
This means you could write a nice compact application that would require
one exe and the .net data provider assembly.
http://npgsql.projects.postgresql.org/

Or you could use Turbo Delphi (http://www.turboexplorer.com/delphi)
along with a native client access library such as
PostgresDAC(http://www.microolap.com) or Zeos (http://www.zeoslib.net).

You could also use ASP.net to(with npgsql)  create a nice web application.

For C# or vb.net, you don't need a M$ ide, you could use SharpDevelop
(http://www.icsharpcode.com/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx) which is excellent.

Hope this helps,

--
Tony Caduto