Upgrade problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Kurland
Subject Upgrade problem
Date
List pgsql-general
I've just upgraded from 7.2 to 8.1.5 under AIX 4.3.
gcc 2.95.3
gmake 3.79.1

I ran into a build problem which I was able to resolve by adding adding
'LDFLAGS= -xlinker -bbigtoc' to the configure command line.
make check passes all 98 tests, but when I try to start postgresql I get:

LOG:  could not translate service "5432" to address: Host not found
WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "*"
FATAL:  could not create any TCP/IP sockets

in the logfile.

I reread the INSTALL doc and sec 23.4 of the v8.1 manual and see no
mention of any config changes required for the newer release.

A google search didn't yield much except that it seems that the error
message is generated in src/backend/libpq/pqcomm.c. Can anyone tell what
I've done wrong?

Bill Kurland