Re: psql -F - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From T E Schmitz
Subject Re: psql -F
Date
List pgsql-sql
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> T E Schmitz wrote:
>
>>I have written a shell script to export data:
>>
>>psql -A -t -U $DBUSER -d $DB -c "$QUERY" -F ' '
>>
>>Currently, I am using spaces as field separator but what I really want
>>is tabs.
>>
>>How can I specify a TAB character with the -F option?
>

> This is really a shell question.  On those I know, you'd type ^V <tab>.

True.
Ctrl-V <tab> works fine on the command-line.

> (Maybe it would work to use '\t' as well, not sure if psql interprets
> that.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't. As far as I know -F literally wants a <tab.
character and how I get it in really is a shell question.

Sorry for having gone off-topic. I was just hoping something like \t
could be passed, too.

--

Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz