Re: Slow SELECT on three or more clients - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: Slow SELECT on three or more clients
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, Amir,

AMIR FRANCO D. JOVEN wrote:

> My current project uses PostgreSQL 7.3.4.

By all means, please upgrade.

The newest 7.3 series version is 7.3.16, which fixes lots of critical
bugs, and can be used as a drop-in replacement for 7.3.4 (see Release
Notes at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/release.html )

The newest stable release is 8.1.5, and 8.2 is just on the roads...

> I have a table with 94 fields and a select with only one resultset in
> only one client consumes about 0.86 seconds.

"with only on resultset"?

You mean "with only one returned row", I presume.

Each SELECT has exactly one resultset, which can contain zero to many rows.

Please check the following:

- Did you create the appropriate indices?

- Version 7.3.X may suffer from index bloat, so REINDEX might help.

- Did you VACUUM and ANALYZE the table properly?

- Is your free space map setting, the statistics targets, and other
config options tuned to fit your environment?

- Maybe a VACUUM FULL or a CLUSTER command may help you.

> for a single select with one field in one resultset, is 0.86 seconds normal?

That depends on the circumstances.

Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org