Re: adminpack and pg_catalog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: adminpack and pg_catalog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat wrote:
> While I don't disagree that this is an important feature, the fact that it is
> being designed with pgadmin specific backwards compatability (for example the
> functions that rename core functions) leaves me dubious as to it being a more
> general solution.  Because of that I would be comfortable with acting on #3.

The rename happened because when one of the functions was moved into
core, someone decided to rename it along the way which broke
compatibility with previous versions of pgAdmin.

Whilst I won't in any way deny that the adminpack was specifically
written for pgAdmin though, I have no problem with it being enhanced to
provide non-core functionality for other admin tools in the future... in
fact I would encourage it. I think it's better to support as many admin
tools as possible from one contrib module, rather than for each tool to
have it's own.

Regards Dave.