Re: latest plperl - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: latest plperl
Date
List pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera said:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 09:33:57AM -0700, Joe Conway wrote:
>
>> As a side note, I think it would be *really* helpful if there were a
>> more comprehensive test script, and an expected results file
>> available.  Not sure though if it could be included in the standard
>> regression tests  on a configure-conditional basis -- anyone know?
>
> Can't this stuff be tested somehow using Test::Simple, Test::Harness or
> something like that?  I know this is not standard perl stuff but ...

Not really. These subroutines have no names nor even references from Perl's
POV. I really don't want to build a test harness into the dynamic lib. And
in any case, the test really needs to come from postgres, not from perl. The
test is 'does this trigger/function do the right thing in the sense of the
value returned to postgres or effect on the database?' The place where
things are likely to break is not in the perl interpreter, but in the glue
code.
cheers

andrew