Block B-tree etc. (was Re: Introducing an advanced Frequent Update) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Block B-tree etc. (was Re: Introducing an advanced Frequent Update)
Date
Re: Block B-tree etc. (was Re: Introducing an advanced Frequent  ("Luke Lonergan" <llonergan@greenplum.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Bring it on!  We at GP have been evaluating various approaches to index
> organized tables which unify index with heap storage to solve some of
> the problems you mention.  Split index and heap is a big issue in
> Postgres and we'd all welcome a good solution to it, even for limited
> circumstances like single index organization or the like.

I don't think Simon's proposal is meant to address that issue, but did
you follow the thread I started in September about Block B-Tree index:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-09/msg02041.php

That's our plan to achieve speedups that other DBMS's have achieved with
Index-Organized-Tables or Clustered Indexes. We're running initial
performance tests of it as we speak, and if all goes well we're hoping
to get that into PostgreSQL 8.3.