Re: PG 8.3 and kerberos failures - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Peter Koczan
Subject Re: PG 8.3 and kerberos failures
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Peter Koczan <pjkoczan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Peter Koczan <pjkoczan@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  >  I just upgraded one of my servers and I'm having a bit of trouble
>  >  getting some of the kerberos authentication bits working.
>  >  Specifically, any Kerberos instance run out of a v5srvtab doesn't work
>  >  so well. Using stashed tickets or normal principals worked fine.
>  >  Gritty details follow.
>  >
>  >  Peter
>  >
>  >  Here are details from the specific v5srvtab's...
>  >  [root@sensei postgres]# klist -k -t /etc/v5srvtab.wsbackup
>  >  Keytab name: FILE:/etc/v5srvtab.wsbackup
>  >  KVNO Timestamp         Principal
>  >  ---- ----------------- --------------------------------------------------------
>  >   13 12/20/07 15:56:11 wsbackup/sensei.cs.wisc.edu@CS.WISC.EDU
>
>  Here's what happens when I do this (it's on a different machine but
>  it's the same mechanism).
>
>  [root@ator] ~ $ su - wsbackup
>  ator(1)% kinit -f -k -t /etc/v5srvtab.wsbackup -l 1d
>  wsbackup/ator.cs.wisc.edu@CS.WISC.EDU
>  ator(2)% klist
>  Ticket cache: FILE:/var/adm/krb5/tmp/tkt/krb5cc_28528
>  Default principal: wsbackup/ator.cs.wisc.edu@CS.WISC.EDU
>
>  Valid starting     Expires            Service principal
>  04/18/08 12:25:00  04/19/08 12:25:00  krbtgt/CS.WISC.EDU@CS.WISC.EDU
>

>  Kerberos 4 ticket cache: /tmp/tkt28528
>  klist: You have no tickets cached

One more thing to note, I said before that stashed tickets and login
principals "just work." Here might be something...

[koczan@ator] koczan $ klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/var/adm/krb5/tmp/tkt/krb5cc_3258_ZtKJNK
Default principal: koczan@CS.WISC.EDU

[root@mitchell ~]# export KRB5CCNAME=/var/adm/krb5/tmp/stash/krb5cc_25555.stash
[root@mitchell ~]# klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/var/adm/krb5/tmp/stash/krb5cc_25555.stash
Default principal: strivia@CS.WISC.EDU

They don't contain hostname data in the default principal like the
keytab principal does, and yet they both connect fine. There could be
something to this, but I don't know what, or how to take advantage of
it.

Peter