Re: PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently reviewed your FAQ on OpenCRX and was surprised to see your
> comment on PostgreSQL:
>
> Please note that we do not recommend PostgreSQL for production use.
> While PostgreSQL may be fine for many settings this DBMS simply does not
> deliver the performance required for openCRX (PostgreSQL takes
> minutes/hours to calculate 3-table-joins even for small data sets).
>
> Frankly, I am stunned. I have PostgreSQL in production in everything
> from Financial industries to large scale collaborative environments.
>
> Perhaps there is something incorrect with your setting? I would be happy
> to help you optimize your testing so that you can represent PostgreSQL
> properly.

The installation instruction describes very precisely how to modify
pg_hba.conf and all other steps, but not a single word about
postgresql.conf, how to adjust pgsql buffers or setting up vacuum. I
suspect they're running the default minimal configuration, without
vacuum, i.e. the typical pitfall.

Regards,
Andreas