Re: [SQL] How to overwrite a table [only data]? - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: [SQL] How to overwrite a table [only data]?
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi, Ezequias,

Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha wrote:

> I would like to overwrite a table with problem with his original. But
>  there are some points.
>
> I can't just delete and restore it becouse it has a foreign key and
> when I try to delete it ask for drop cascade.

As long as the delete and restore is in the same transaction, SET
CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED might help.

See the docs for more info.

> As I know the drop cascade delete in both tables the rows related. Is
> it correct ?

Yes, cascade will delete all referencing rows in the otehr table to keep
the constraints intact, keeping only those rows that have NULL in the
foreign key. I think that's not exactly what you want.

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org