Re: Backup and restore through JDBC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Backup and restore through JDBC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>> Then after you recover from your head exploding you start devising some
>> sort of sane API ...
>>

> That's the hard part.  There is no percentage in having a library if
> it doesn't do anything significantly different from what you could
> accomplish via
>     system("pg_dump ...switches....");
>
> What is it you hope to accomplish by having a library, exactly?
> (And don't say "more control over the dump process".
Some more progress feedback would be really nice.
>  pg_dump is already
> on the hairy edge of maintainability; we do *not* need to try to deal
> with making it still function correctly after an application programmer
> makes some random intervention in the process.)

Agreed. The only sane approach seems to have a single dump function call
(that takes a set of parameters as prepared by command line scanning)
and a set of callbacks that enable api users to do sensible stuff at
different stages of the backup process.

Regards,
Andreas