Re: BUG #2642: Connection problems without IPv6 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Christoph Zwerschke
Subject Re: BUG #2642: Connection problems without IPv6
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Magnus Hagander wrote:
 >> The following bug has been logged online:
 >> When I start the PostgreSQL service, and I have my LAN
 >> network interface activated with TCP/IP installed, but IPv6
 >> deinstalled, I cannot connect to the PostgreSQL database. In
 >> the log file, I get the following error
 >> message:
 >>
 >> "LOG: could not receive data from client: An operation was
 >> attempted on something that is not a socket."

 >> It happens only if:
 >>
 >> - the LAN network interface is activated and
 >> - the TCP/IP protocol is activated and
 >> - the TCP/IP v6 protocol is not installed
 >
 > I've never seen any mention at all about this before. Do you have any
 > antivirus or firewall software on this machine? Especially firewall
 > software has a bad habit of breaking regular winsock operations, as
 > we've seen in many different cases...
 >
 > Also, what is the value of listen_addresses in your postgresql.conf?

No, there is no special software except the Win XP firewall, but it
happens even if it switched off. I had all other services and software
deactivated, it happened anyway. It tried various values for
listen_address including 'localhost' and '127.0.0.1.', but it did not
matter. It also happens when listen_address is not set at all (which
defaults to localhost I guess). That means if you simply install
PostgreSQL on Windows XP under the above conditions (LAN interface
active, TCP/IP active, TCP/IP 6 not installed), then in the last phase
of the installation where the installer tries to connect to the database
to install some extensions, it fails already.

netstat -anb shows:

TCP    127.0.0.1:5432    0.0.0.0:0    LISTEN
[postmaster.exe]

Is here anybody with Win XP who can confirm that behavior?

-- Christoph