Re: format_datum debugging function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: format_datum debugging function
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> writes:
> On 14.08.24 17:46, Paul Jungwirth wrote:
>> Are you doing something to get macro expansion? I've never gotten my gdb
>> to see #defines, although in theory this configure line should do it,
>> right?:

> Oh I see, you don't have the F_* constants available then.  Maybe just
> put in the OID manually then?

That's pretty illegible and error-prone.  I agree that writing the
output function's C name is noticeably better.  However, I would
call the result DirectOutputFunctionCall and put it near
OidOutputFunctionCall in fmgr.c.  It's not like we don't already
have a naming convention and many instances of this.

(Also, now that I look at the code, I wonder why it looks so
little like any of the existing DirectFunctionCall functions.)