Re: Replication and PITR - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bo Lorentsen
Subject Re: Replication and PITR
Date
List pgsql-general
Csaba Nagy wrote:
> That's gone with 8.2, it will be possible to stream the last
> modifications, or force a WAL recycle periodically, whatever fits you
> better. There is some new infrastructure which allows these things,
> although I didn't have the time to play with them.

This sound very nice, where can I find more info about this ... and when
is 8.2 expected to be released ? And are there anyone else that plays
with making build in replication for PG 8.2 ?
> The big improvement would be indeed to have the infrastructure to start
> up a standby by simply pointing it to the master server, no other setup
> needed. Implement that, make it reliable, and any beginner to postgres
> will be able to easily set up a WAL shipping based standby. Right now
> you still have to do some complicated scripting to make it work (no idea
> how much 8.2 will help here, didn't try yet).

Do you know what the motivation for these changes have been ? Better
PITR or is replication a direct goal ?

/BL