Re: Load a csv file into a pgsql table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Load a csv file into a pgsql table
Date
List pgsql-general

On 09/19/06 13:26, Steve Atkins wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Emi Lu wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>

>> *Except* copy command, are there other quick ways to load data from a
>> csv file into a pgsql table please?
>
> There are several bulk loaders, but I believe they all use COPY behind
> the scenes.
>
> If copy isn't an option then your best bet will be many inserts in a
> transaction, but that'll be significantly slower. You could cobble
> together a loader using perl, DBI and one of the CPAN CSV modules fairly
> easily.
>
> (But I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't use copy, so you must
> have some constraint you haven't mentioned - can you expand on why copy
> isn't an option?)

COPY has great facilities for specifying the physical layout of the
CSV file, but is otherwise limited.  Facilities that I miss are:

statistics: loaded 10000 rows, loaded 20000 rows, ... etc.

skip: if the COPY dies (or is killed after 10Mn rows have been
      loaded, it's so useful to be able to add "--skip=10425000"
      to the command and have the bulk loaded quickly scan to
      that record.  Yes, tail(1) can slice off the unloaded
      records, but that means that now you have 2 files.  Messy.

transactions: goes hand-in-glove with statistics and skip.

exceptions file: if you have a unique index on the table, and
                 one of the input records is a duplicate, kick
                 it out to an exceptions file, note it to stderr
                 and keep on loading.

A "fields" option would also be handy.  This is for when the number
of fields in the input file does not equal those in the table.

Just MHO, of course.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA