Re: Variadic aggregates vs. project policy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Variadic aggregates vs. project policy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I was one who sent a bug report - this error is not too dangerous, but it
> is hidden, and difficult to find, if you don't know what can be happen.
> Same as bug with plpgsql and SQL identifier collisions. If you understand,
> then you can protect self well and  simply. If not, then it is a magic
> error. So still I am thing so best solution is

> a) a warning when detect ORDER BY in variadic aggregates

Such a warning would never be tolerated by users, because it would appear
even when the query is perfectly correct.

> b) disallow ORDER BY in variadic aggregates in classic syntax, and enable
> it only in WITHIN GROUP syntax where is safe ,

And we're *not* inventing randomly different syntax for variadic
aggregates.  That ship sailed when we did it this way for regular
functions.