Re: Mid cycle release? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Mid cycle release?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> I frankly won't see many people migrate to 8.2. Most of my customers
>>> will wait for 8.3 anyway. (except new business of course).
>>
>> I disagree - 8.2 is much more attractive for us then say 8.0 or 8.1 was
>> and we will probably adopt it rather aggressively ...
>
> That's why I said "I frankly won't". I have customers with multi
> terrabyte datasets. 8.1 performs wonderfully for them. It would be a
> hard push to initiate an 8.2 outage for that.

maybe - we have mostly OLTP style databases in the 2-3 figure gigabyte
range and none of the features you want to see an entire major release
done for would be a reason to upgrade for us.
Things  30% overall performance increase for a large set of queries (in
our apps) due to planner improvements and things like restartable
recovery and reduced dump & restore times (due to the sorting fixes)
however are :-)
Point I want to make is - all those are cool features(and might be
critical for some) but I don't think they warrant a dramatic change in
the release cycle policy ...

Stefan