Re: Mid cycle release? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Mid cycle release?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>> In addition to that this plan might hold back some people from upgrading
>>> to 8.2 which solves quite a few critical issues with features we
>>> marketed/introduced during the past 8.x cycles and are really getting
>>> polished and usable now (partitioning,pitr,...) and 8.2 gives quite a
>>> nice performance boost for a lot of workloads too.
>>>
>> I frankly won't see many people migrate to 8.2. Most of my customers
>> will wait for 8.3 anyway. (except new business of course).
>
> I disagree - 8.2 is much more attractive for us then say 8.0 or 8.1 was
> and we will probably adopt it rather aggressively ...

That's why I said "I frankly won't". I have customers with multi
terrabyte datasets. 8.1 performs wonderfully for them. It would be a
hard push to initiate an 8.2 outage for that.

Joshua D. Drake

> Stefan

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/