Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Steinar H. Gunderson", )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (PFC, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Rod Taylor, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
      Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
      Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Oleg Bartunov, )
      Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (PFC, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
      Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Stacy White", )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Steve Atkins, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (PFC, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
    Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Simon Riggs, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Stacy White", )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Greg Stark, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Yann Michel, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Stacy White", )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Stacy White", )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Hannu Krosing, )
  Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: What needs to be done for real Partitioning?  ("Roger Hand", )

Alvaro Herrera <> writes:
> Hmm.  You are right, but without that we won't be able to enforce
> uniqueness on the partitioned table (we could only enforce it on each
> partition, which would mean we can't partition on anything else than
> primary keys if the tables have one).  IMHO this is something to
> consider.

Well, partitioning on the primary key would be Good Enough for 95% or
99% of the real problems out there.  I'm not excited about adding a
large chunk of complexity to cover another few percent.

            regards, tom lane