Re: [Patch] Temporary tables that do not bloat pg_catalog (a.k.a fast temp tables) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Anastasia Lubennikova
Subject Re: [Patch] Temporary tables that do not bloat pg_catalog (a.k.a fast temp tables)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
05.08.2016 19:41, Robert Haas:

> 2. This inserts additional code in a bunch of really low-level places
> like heap_hot_search_buffer, heap_update, heap_delete, etc.  I think
> what you've basically done here is create a new, in-memory heap AM and
> then, because we don't have an API for adding new storage managers,
> you've bolted it onto the existing heapam layer.  That's certainly a
> reasonable approach for creating a PoC, but I think we actually need a
> real API here.  Otherwise, when the next person comes along and wants
> to add a third heap implementation, they've got to modify all of these
> same places again.  I don't think this code is reasonably maintainable
> in this form.

As I can see, you recommend to clean up the API of storage
management code. I strongly agree that it's high time to do it.

So, I started the discussion about refactoring and improving API
of heapam and heap relations.
You can find it on commitfest:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/10/700/

I'll be glad to see your thoughts on the thread.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company