Re: Segfault on logical replication to partitioned table with foreign children - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ilya.v.gladyshev@gmail.com
Subject Re: Segfault on logical replication to partitioned table with foreign children
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> writes:
> > Yes, this looks like a bug and your fix seems correct to me.  It
> > would
> > be nice to add a test case for this scenario.
>
> A test case doesn't seem that exciting to me.  If we were trying to
> make it actually work, then yeah, but throwing an error isn't that
> useful to test.  The code will be exercised by replication to a
> regular partitioned table (I assume we do have tests for that).
>
> What I'm wondering about is whether we can refactor this code
> to avoid so many usually-useless catalog lookups.  Pulling the
> namespace name, in particular, is expensive and we generally
> are not going to need the result.  In the child-rel case it'd
> be much better to pass the opened relation and let the error-check
> subroutine work from that.  Maybe we should just do it like that
> at the start of the recursion, too?  Or pass the relid and let
> the subroutine look up the names only in the error case.

Sure, I think passing in the opened relation is a good idea.

> A completely different line of thought is that this doesn't seem
> like a terribly bulletproof fix, since children could get added to
> a partitioned table after we look.  Maybe it'd be better to check
> the relkind at the last moment before we do something that depends
> on a child table being a relation.

These checks are run both on subscription DDL commands, which is good
to get some early feedback, and inside logical_rel_open(), right before
something useful is about to get done to the relation, so we should be
good here. I think some tests would actually be nice to verify this,
but I don't really have a strong opinion about it.

I'll refactor the patch and post a bit later.