Re: [HACKERS] Parallel Index Scans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Parallel Index Scans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07/03/17 02:46, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was going to do it after index and index-only scans and parallel
>> bitmap heap scan were committed, but I've been holding off on
>> committing parallel bitmap heap scan waiting for Andres to fix the
>> simplehash regressions, so maybe I should just go do an update now and
>> another one later once that goes in.
>>
> As you wish, but one point to note is that as of now parallelism for
> index scans can be influenced by table level parameter
> parallel_workers.  It sounds slightly awkward, but if we want to keep
> that way, then maybe we can update the docs to indicate the same.
> Another option is to have a separate parameter for index scans.

My immediate gut feeling was to have separate parameters.

On thinking about it, I think they serve different use cases.  I don't
think of workers when I think of Index scans, and I suspect I'd find
more reasons to keep them separate if I looked deeper.

Cheers,
Gavin