Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bricklen Anderson
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD
Date
List pgsql-general
Anton de Wet wrote:

> One problem I see the postresql at the moment (and I'm porbably touching
> a can of worms here) is the lack of some sort of certification.
>
> One thing linux (or Red Hat) is doing well is supplying the things that
> corporates are looking for. And the first thing they look for when they
> seriously start looking at a new technology is training. When they look
> at training, they go for certifications (as we see all the time with the
> RHCE).
>
> We have a number of large corporate clients here in South Africa,
> including some of the biggest banks, of which a few are asking for
> training at the moment. It would be really nice to have some form of
> certification available that we could present that had some
> international credentials.
>
> Anton

Training I agree with, but certifications can go either way. A good
example of where certifications are generally NOT going to work in your
favour is the fiasco that Oracle has created with their OCP
certification over the past 6 or so years. So many people were pushed
through these OCP mills that their certifications have become worthless.
HR types were finding that these Oracle-certified dba/developers are of
dubious quality at best -- even though they have a piece of paper
stating that they are officially trained. I know that when we look at
prospective employees, that designation is totally ignored. It is their
experience and ability to do the job properly that count more than anything.

my two bits.