Re: database contest results

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig
Subject: Re: database contest results
Date: ,
Re: database contest results  ("Joshua D. Drake")
Re: database contest results  (Jeff Davis)
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

database contest results  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
 [ignore this and previous email] Re: database contest results  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
 Re: database contest results  (Hans-Juergen Schoenig, )
  Re: database contest results  (Andreas Pflug, )
   Re: database contest results  (Anastasios Hatzis, )
  Re: database contest results  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: database contest results  (Jeff Davis, )
   Re: database contest results  (Peter Eisentraut, )
    Re: database contest results  (Jeff Davis, )
     Re: database contest results  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
     Re: database contest results  (Jeff Davis, )
     Re: database contest results  (Andreas Pflug, )
      Re: database contest results  (Jeff Davis, )
       Re: database contest results  (Andreas Pflug, )
       Re: database contest results  (mdean, )
        Re: database contest results  (Josh Berkus, )
        Re: database contest results  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
        Re: database contest results  (Brian Hurt, )
 Re: database contest results  (Chris Browne, )

Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not studied this contest in any detail. However the performance
> differences seem kind of unrealistic:
> http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2006_35.html
>
> regards,
> Lukas

this is pure marketing.
i have seen postgres beat mysql in many many cases. same with oracle.
i assume that those tests are all done with ISAM. with ISAM everything
is fast but you cannot reboot the box without facing serious corruption.
in business applications stability is as least as important as speed.

as far as the mysql benchmark is concerned: it is like one of those
studies where professor marlboro says that smoking is good for health ...

    best regards,

       hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde & Schönig GmbH