Re: database contest results

From: Andreas Pflug
Subject: Re: database contest results
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

database contest results  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
 [ignore this and previous email] Re: database contest results  (Lukas Kahwe Smith, )
 Re: database contest results  (Hans-Juergen Schoenig, )
  Re: database contest results  (Andreas Pflug, )
   Re: database contest results  (Anastasios Hatzis, )
  Re: database contest results  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: database contest results  (Jeff Davis, )
   Re: database contest results  (Peter Eisentraut, )
    Re: database contest results  (Jeff Davis, )
     Re: database contest results  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
     Re: database contest results  (Jeff Davis, )
     Re: database contest results  (Andreas Pflug, )
      Re: database contest results  (Jeff Davis, )
       Re: database contest results  (Andreas Pflug, )
       Re: database contest results  (mdean, )
        Re: database contest results  (Josh Berkus, )
        Re: database contest results  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
        Re: database contest results  (Brian Hurt, )
 Re: database contest results  (Chris Browne, )

Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have not studied this contest in any detail. However the
>> performance differences seem kind of unrealistic:
>> http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2006_35.html
>>
>> regards,
>> Lukas

>>               http://archives.postgresql.org
>

> this is pure marketing.
> i have seen postgres beat mysql in many many cases. same with oracle.
> i assume that those tests are all done with ISAM. with ISAM everything
> is fast but you cannot reboot the box without facing serious
> corruption. in business applications stability is as least as
> important as speed.
>
> as far as the mysql benchmark is concerned: it is like one of those
> studies where professor marlboro says that smoking is good for health ...
This was done by c't, not mysql. But the article title is misleading: it
doesn't compare database systems, but application tuning. Unfortunately,
the prerequisites where quite mysql-drawn right from the start. The
MySQL team did a very good job tuning the existent application to access
the database as rare as possible using memcache, and dropped all
constraints (no surprise...). Porting _that_ optimized app to pgsql
would be really interesting and comparable.

Regards,
Andreas