Re: select max(column) from parent table very slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: select max(column) from parent table very slow
Date
List pgsql-performance
Sriram Dandapani wrote:
> Parent table has a column say column1 which is indexed (parent table and
> all child tables are indexed on that column)

Do you mean?

select max(foo) from bar;

In older versions of postgresql that would scan the whole table. In 8.1
and above it doesn't. However, I am guess that since this is a
partitioned table the planner isn't smart enough to just perform the
query on each child and a max on the set that is returned. Thus you are
scanning each table completely.

But that is just a guess.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/