Re: logos and the BSD license - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Koen Martens
Subject Re: logos and the BSD license
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 23. August 2006 01:35 schrieb Joshua D. Drake:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> What would you suggest instead?
>> Creative Commons :)
>
> Creative Commons publishes a number of licenses, but all of them are
> significantly more restrictive (and more complicated) than the BSD license,
> to the extent that they are incompatible with traditional standards for free
> software.  Since PostgreSQL graphics should be available for inclusion into
> program packages (e.g., menu icons) or documentation, this would be a serious
> restriction.

You are probably right. If the goal is to let anyone use the
graphics in any way they want, why have a license at all??

The main point is, however, that it is not completely clear how the
BSD license, a software license, applies to graphics. So maybe there
is nothing wrong with having the BSD license, but that is not really
clear to me (and perhaps others).

Gr,

Koen