Re: Locale, encoding, sort order confusion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Gunther
Subject Re: Locale, encoding, sort order confusion
Date
List pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera wrote: <blockquote cite="mid20060821001057.GB1130@alvh.no-ip.org" type="cite"><blockquote
type="cite"><prewrap="">For example, with all LC_* parameters set to "en_US.UTF8", I get the

following incorrect "order:by":

Béarn
Bécancour
Did you initdb with locale en_US.UTF8, and also createdb with encoding
UTF8?  While you can certainly choose mismatching values in createdb and
initdb, you shouldn't because it doesn't work.</pre></blockquote> That's an interesting question. Are the LC_*
variablesset by initdb or createdb? In other words, does their value indicate what initdb settings I used? If I do a
defaultcreatedb, will the new database automatically be consistent with the cluster's initdb?<br />