Locale, encoding, sort order confusion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Gunther
Subject Locale, encoding, sort order confusion
Date
List pgsql-general
 style="font-family: -moz-fixed; font-size: 13px;" lang="x-western">I've
been reading about locales, encodings, sort orders, the to_ascii

function and, embarrasingly, I'm more confused than enlightened.:

What I want is very simple:

1) I want the database to correctly accept, store, and display

alphabetic characters, including European accented characters, entered
and viewed in HTML

forms.

2) I want sorting to ignore the diacritical marks so that, for example,

u, u-accent, and u-umlaut are all sorted as if they were plain u.

3) I want sorting to ignore non-alphanumerics, letter case, and white
space.

To illustrate, the following data is in sorted order:

St-Émile

stendahl

st ènders

St. Epson

Can someone tell me what combination of PostgreSQL and Linux settings I

need for this? It seems like a very basic question, but I'm just dense,

I guess. I've tried a half dozen time-consuming configs without
success.

Thank you.

John Gunther