Re: Dynamic Partial Index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From gustavo halperin
Subject Re: Dynamic Partial Index
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 20:50 +0300, gustavo halperin wrote:
>
>> I'm interesting in a partial index for a rows that aren't older than 6
>> mounts, something like the sentence below:

>>     /CREATE INDEX name_for_the_index ON table (the_column_of_type_date)
>>
>>     WHERE ( the_column_of_type_date > (current_date - interval '6
>> month')::date );/

>> But this is not posible, I receive the next error:

>>    ERROR:  functions in index predicate must be marked IMMUTABLE

>> So, what is the best solution for my problem?
>>

> Create an index on the table, and then periodically move records into a
> separate archive table.
>
> Regards,
>     Jeff Dave
Thanks, but I have a question. If the table is a BIIIIIIG table, use
your solution is still a good idea ?? What about to create a partial
INDEX for the really current date (and not using the function
current_date) and periodically dropped and created it with the current
day again and again ??

  Thank you again,
         Gustavo