Is it possible (postgresql/mysql) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From louis gonzales
Subject Is it possible (postgresql/mysql)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello List,
PostgreSQL 8.0.1 (on Solaris 9)
There is a PERL program that a friend purchased which is used to create
tables on a MySQL database, and of course ;) I want to run this on a
PostgreSQL database server instead.  The below is the code:
 $sth=runSQL("CREATE TABLE someTable (
                    date_create bigint NOT NULL,
                    date_end bigint NOT NULL,
                    username VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
                    $cat_definition
                    id serial PRIMARY KEY,
                    status VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
                    $adfields
                   visibility TEXT NOT NULL,
                   priority TEXT NOT NULL,
                   template TEXT NOT NULL,
                   view bigint DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL,
                   reply bigint DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL,
                   save bigint DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL,
                   updated bigint,
                   photo VARCHAR(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
                   INDEX(username),
                   $cat_index
                   INDEX(date_create) );");

What my question is, the "INDEX(...)" function calls, which work this
way on MySQL, don't work in PostgreSQL.  Does anybody know what a
synonymous way to modify the above code, for compatibility with PostgreSQL?

FYI:    yourVariable  INT UNSIGNED AUTO_INCREMENT(MySQL)
            can be replaced by
           yourVariable serial

Thanks group!

--