Re: setting up foreign keys - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sue Fitt
Subject Re: setting up foreign keys
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks Chris and Chris, you've solved it.

I had a gui open that connects to the database. It was doing nothing
(and not preventing me adding to or altering headwords_core via psql),
but having closed it the table is instantly created. Weird.

BTW, referencing the same column twice is deliberate, it's a
cross-reference.

Sue

Chris Mair wrote:
 >> This is my first post to the performance list, I hope someone can
help me.

 >> I'm setting up a table with 2 columns, both of which reference a
column in another table:

 >> CREATE TABLE headwords_core_lexemes (
 >> core_id int REFERENCES headwords_core(core_id),
 >> lexeme_id int REFERENCES headwords_core(core_id),
 >> );
 >>
 >> Trouble is, it's taken 18 hours and counting!  The table
headwords_core only has about 13,000 lines, and core_id is the primary
key on that table. However, I assume it must be those 13,000 lines that
are the problem, since if I try it referencing a similar table with 360
lines the new table is created almost instantly.