Re: Values list-of-targetlists patch for comments (was Re: - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Values list-of-targetlists patch for comments (was Re:
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>
>>This patch retains the memory consumption savings but doesn't break any
>>regression tests...
>

> I'm unconvinced that retail pfree's are the way to go.  I just did some
> profiling of this test case:

<snip>

> It's slightly depressing that there's not more time being spent in
> places we can easily tweak, but anyway the salient point to me is
> that AllocSetFree is already chewing a nontrivial part of the runtime.

That's undoubtedly true, and important for the case that isn't memory
constrained (but where I'm already seeing us perform relatively well).
But once we start the machine swapping, runtime goes in the toilet. And
without addressing the memory leak somehow, we will start a machine
swapping significantly earlier than mysql.

Joe