Re: Can't start PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Can't start PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Ian Johnson wrote:
> Hi List
>
> I want to develop an application in PostgreSQL but when starting the
> service I get the following message:
>
> An old version of the database format was found.
> You need to upgrade the data format before using PostgreSQL.
> See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.1.4/README.rpm-dist for more
> information.
>
> I am running Fedora Core 5 but initially had built the system with
> Fedora Core 3, with PostgreSQL installed and automatically updated it
> over the past 2 years.  I may have created a test database 2 years ago
> which may be the source of the problem.  Is this the source of the
> problem?  I could find nothing in README.rpm-dist that helps.

Yep - you have an old installation still there. The RPM probably refused
to destroy the old installation without approval from you. You'll need
to initdb the directory (see the online manuals for how to run initdb,
or check the RPM /etc/init.d/ scripts)

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd